Well, Christmas weekend has passed, and so has the bout of fever that kept me from the keyboard the 23rd.
After finishing the prototype Dornier, I realized that the two-tone camo scheme was not sufficiently, uh, two-tone. Particularily after applying varnish, the two colurs I had chosen (Vallejo 894 Russian Green and 896 Extra Dark Green) were almost impossible to discern from one another. Sulking over and denying this for the first few days, I had already realised that I had to re-paint one of the colours on top of the varnish. Yesterday I had the opportunity to sit down and do something about it.
It took some experimenting with tones of green, I finally settled on changing out the 894 Russian Green for 830 German Fieldgrey WW2. The entire top half of the model was then re-varnished.
When painting the 830 on top of the 894, I knew I was right to re-paint - I had to pull up an image with the camo pattern, as I could hardly see the pattern on the model! Now, the miniature looks more like the on-line reference images I found and the camo patern is clearly visible. Much better!
With this detail out of the way, I was able to start working on the remaining 11 models in earnest, and am currently cleaning them of moulding lines.
The final palette for Battle of Britain Luftwaffe bombers (all Vallejo):
- 943 Grey Blue - Belly base coat
- 906 Pale Blue - Belly top coat
- 979 German Camo Dark Green - Top base coat
- 830 German Field Grey WWII - Top, well, top coat
- 896 Extra Dark Green - Camo pattern
- 907 Pale Greyblue - Canopy
For the Do17z, I also decided on white propeller spinners, using 907 Pale Greyblue.
Vallejo is currently my paint manufacturer of choice, I'll come back to the reasons why in a later post.