fredag 27. januar 2012

Forging ahead

So, after the previous day, I had a bowl full of Dorniers with magnets attached. The bowl is one of my trusty tools of the trade - I use it to store miniatures and bits during assembly.



 Step 5: Add water and a drop of dishwashing detergent. A quick scrub with an old toothbrush later, the planes no longer have that slightly oily feel to them any more, they feel smooth and dry.



 Step 6: Primer. Using the Vallejo 601 Grey Primer, I gave all the planes a quick coat on the belly. After finishing the last one, the first ones had dried and I could flip them over and paint the top on all as well. The rudders have not been painted, the result of experience from my prototype run - they will be used as handholds and only painted once the rest of the aircraft is completely done.



Close-up of the primer coat. The painting technique that I have adopted over the years uses a minimum of three coats - the primer, the base coat and the highlighting coat. Each coat is applied just once, and will not give a solid, uniform colour - yet the layers of this effect give a quite pleasant "weathering" in my opinion. Plus it goes fast!



Step 6: Colour re-enters the blog! Ah, so it's greyblue, what did you expect? Belly base coat, Vallejo 943 Grey Blue.



As you can see, the emphasis is on speed, not achieving a uniform coat. The final coat will combine with this one to give the desired effect.

That is it for today! Due to the number and size of the aircraft, each step takes a while to complete. In addition, I have started work on a side project to the Battle of Britain and keep photos of this filed - these will be posted later.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar